Re: Production & Development Environment

From: BRAJB <brajb_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/08/15

In our situation, we support the following environments

  1. Production
  2. Production Fix (Used for tech support mirrored once a week) 3. New Development (Controlled Mirror - point in time) 4. System Test (Controlled Mirror - point in time)

The method of refreshing is as follows:

1. Production (Backup controlfile to trace)
2. Shutdown the Production DB
3. Shutdown the Target DB
4.  Ftp (binary) files to target server
5.  Copy  the backed up control file to the target db and edit
     to rename appropriate filestructures (if different) and rename
     the db sid.  (I really only did this once, but have to keep it up
     to date if the production database required added datafiles)
6. Create a script to remove the old datafiles and control files, copy the datafiles then recreate the control files with pointers to new locations.

 This process takes me about 1 hour to complete for one database. I had previously done it with export import which took about 4 hours. Where the production database would outgrow the testing environments I would frequently run into tablespace problems. with this method, it is much cleaner. The downfall is the downtime required for this process.    Received on Fri Aug 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT