Re: Compilation problems??

From: Craig Miller <dcm_at_zilker.net.nospam>
Date: 1997/08/14

Alicia Carla Longstreet wrote:
> If I write a program and decide that exit(99) indicates failure due to
> an inability to allocate sufficient memory for a data object, that is
> EXACTLY what an exit code of 99 will mean ON EVERY SINGLE PLATFORM/OS
> THAT I CHOOSE TO PORT MY PROGRAM TO.

	By convention, on any Unix-style operating system, exit(0)
	means the program ran successfully.

	If you choose to change this convention for your program, you
	risk breaking shell scripts and other programs that call
	your program.

	I.e. you become non-standard (on Unix-style operating systems).

		Craig

--
Craig Miller .... Cedar Park, TX .... programmer, homebrewer
         I do not speak for anyone besides myself.