ORACLE_SID limited to 4 characters long in WG???

From: Peggy Lok <lokp_at_inforamp.net>
Date: 1997/08/14

For anyone who is using "Oracle7 Workgroup Server", can you confirm if the ORACLE_SID is limited to four characters long?? (version 7.3.2)

The problem is that someone has created an Oracle database years ago under "Oracle7 Enterprise Server 7.1.6" and now they want me to upgrade the database to "Oracle7 Workgroup Server 7.3.2". Unforturnately the database name they've chosen is longer than 4 characters. So if Workground is in fact limiting ORACLE_SID to 4 characters then I'm in big trouble. Will the following solution work???

(1) Rename the current "Oracle7 Enterprise Server 7.1.6"

        database to a new name, then
(2) Apply the usual database migration procedure to

        upgrade the "Oracle7 Enterprise Server 7.1.6" to
        "Oracle7 Workgroup Server 7.3.2".

Anyone try this before?? Does it work?? Should I do it???

Please advise.....thanks.

Peggy Received on Thu Aug 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT