Re: Free Space within Table or Index

From: pady srinivasan <pady_at_imncorp.com>
Date: 1997/08/12

--------------6FCCFEAF394A5EEB510F9CDF

Neil Boemio wrote:

> When creating a new table or index and after loading up the data, I'd
> like to be able to tell if I have sized the object too small or much
> too
> big. Is there any view which will tell me how much free space exists
> within a table or index?

> _/_/_/ Neil Boemio _/_/_/
> _/_/_/ nboemio_at_bway.net _/_/_/
> _/_/_/ http://www.bway.net/~nboemio/ _/_/_/

  select sum(extent_id), sum(bytes) from sys.dba_extents  where segment_name='TABLE_NAME'
  group by segment_name

If there a lot of extents used already, then it will be better to recreate the table with the initial set to sum(bytes) from above.

Pady Srinivasan

--
MZ

--------------6FCCFEAF394A5EEB510F9CDF

begin:          vcard
fn:             pady  Srinivasan
n:              Srinivasan;pady
org:            Integrated Medical Networks
email;internet: pady_at_imncorp.com
title:          Oracle DBA/UNIX sysadmin
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
end:            vcard

--------------6FCCFEAF394A5EEB510F9CDF--