Re: Free Space within Table or Index

From: SatarNag <satarnag_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/08/12

>When creating a new table or index and after loading up the data, I'd
>like to be able to tell if I have sized the object too small or much too
>big. Is there any view which will tell me how much free space exists
>within a table or index?

There is a tool by Oracle called "table space manager" that shows you how many extents (and size of Each extent) your table is currently useing, and how big it is. It is the perfect place to look for possible Tuneing considerations, and table growth.

For immediate solution, try looking into :

DBA_FREE_SPACE     Free extents in all tablespaces
DBA_TABLES               Description of all tables in the database
DBA_TABLESPACES  Description of all table spaces in the database

I hope this information provides useful to you.

Satar Naghshineh
Entry-Level Oracle DBA
SatarNag_at_aol.com
"I keep hitting the 'Escape' key, but I'm still here" :*( Received on Tue Aug 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT