Re: HELP - WinNT and LISTENER.ORA

From: Oliver Critchley <oliver.critchley_at_no.spam.please>
Date: 1997/08/12

Timo Petman wrote:

> I'm running a 90-day-trial version of Oracle in Windows NT. I have trouble
> with my LISTENER.ORA configuration, I don't seem to get the value of the
> Oracle environment keyword right. I haven't found an example for NT but I
> thought I could use the same PROGRAM-keyword as in an OS/2. So my
> LISTENER.ORA ended up with the following lines:
>
> SID_LIST_LISTENER =
> (SID_LIST =
> (SID_DESC =
> (SID_NAME = ORCL)
> (PROGRAM = C:\PROGRA~1\ORANT)
> )
> )
>
> When I'm trying to connect to the Oracle database from Notes Pump I get
> the error message ORA-12500 TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated
> server process. After the error the trace file contains the lines:
>
> (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)(ENVS=)(ARGV0=C:\PROGRA~1\ORANTORCL)
> (ARGS='(LOCAL=NO)')(SID_NAME=ORCL)(PROGRAM=C:\PROGRA~1\ORANT))
> connecting...
> -<ERROR>- Unable to create process, error 2.
> -<ERROR>- nsres: id=5, op=72, ns=12547, ns2=12560; nt[0]=517, nt[1]=0,nt[2]=0
>
> To me it looks like the problem is the "(ARGV0=C:\PROGRA~1\ORANTORCL)"
> -bit. If I try to add an extra backslash to the PROGRAM-parameter in the
> LISTENER.ORA file the listener controller doesn't load the file, claiming
> "premature end of file"). And even if _that_ worked I still don't have any
> executable file called ORCL in the C:\PROGRA~1\ORANT directory!
>
> As can be plainly seen, I'm a novice Oracle user and I would really
> appreciate any help you can give. Thanks,

Well, I'm not an expert myself, but try removing the line "PROGRAM=..." altogether - my listner.ora doesn't have it!

I assume the SID of your Oracle instance is in fact ORCL as indicated by your listner.ora? If in doubt, check the NT services list - the SID forms part of the Oracle service name.

Oliver. Received on Tue Aug 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT