Re: Data Dictionary

From: SatarNag <satarnag_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/08/12

>How can I see the relationships between the dictionary tables?. What I
 mean
>is ER like diagram for the system tables ?.

My understanding of the Data Dictionary is that it is a Collection of independent views of the database structure. That although the majority are independent from one another, there is a few that get thier information from another view or table.

"One of the most important parts of an Oracle Database is the data dictionary. The data Dictionary is a set of tables and views that are used as a read-only reference to provide information about the associated database. The base data dictionary tables are created by the script file sql.bsq" - Oracle7 Server: Database Administration, Volume One/ Student Guide, Pg. 3-63

Also, there is a reference to two scripts, although I am unfamiliar with them, they might be of some use to you.

In Unix:
$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catalog

catalog.sql      Creates commonly used data dictionary views.
catproc.sql      Runs all scripts required for PL/SQL on the server.

Satar Naghshineh
SatarNag_at_aol.com Received on Tue Aug 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT