Re: ER Model - different answers for different join paths

From: <xx_at_yy.com>
Date: 1997/08/11

In article <33EA1DAA.4AB2_at_cs.wisc.edu>, Kevin Beyer <beyer_at_cs.wisc.edu> wrote:

> I'm interested in what others think about this (both about the modeling
> of
> this problem, and about DM vs ER).
>
> --Kevin

I have not read Kimball's book, but I did read his article (in either Database Programming and Design or DBMS, I'm not sure which) about DM vs ER. I had more questions after reading it than before.

If we assume that ER is about the structure of data and not its use (as Chen says) and if you believe that physical database design is about applying usage to the static data model, then I beleive DM is database design and not data modeling. But Kimball seems to position DM against ER which (I am right) does not make sense at all. Does this make any sense? Received on Mon Aug 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT