Re: Turn off automatic logging

From: Jim Joslin <jjoslin_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/08/10

Glenn Ferguson wrote:

> We are running Oracle 7.3.2.1 in a heavily replicated environment. We
> noticed that it was taking quite a while to connect to Oracle using
> SQL*PLUS (~60 seconds). After talking to Oracle support, we were told to
> run $ORACLE_HOME/bin/otrccref. After running this the connect time was
> greatly reduced.
> The problem was that three files
> $ORACLE_HOME/otrace/admin/{collect.dat}{regid.dat}{process.dat} had
> grown to about 100M each. After running otrccref, the files were down to
> a reasonable size (336228 bytes was the biggest). It appears that more
> is going on than just appending an entry to the end of the file each
> time a connection is made. It is almost as if Oracle is searching these
> files for a place to make this entry. (of course the files are not ascii
> and unreadable)
> We were told that some type of logging is enabled by default and the
> only way to disable this was to set an environment variable.
> Unfortunately we cannot do this for the replication jobs since they do
> not operate in an OS environment (BTW, we are running Unix SunOS 5.5.1).
>
> Can anyone tell me what otrccref is doing and how can this logging be
> disabled? Also any insight into the other utilities located in
> $ORACLE_HOME/bin like otrcfmt, otrcrep, otrcsvr, etc... would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Glenn Ferguson @Home Network
> glenn_at_home.net Oracle DBA

Basically, you encountered a "bug" in 7.3.2.1.0. Oracle Trace was enabled by default in this release. What support had you do was turn it off. I'm suprised they didn't tell you to run installer and remove the Oracle Trace product (which was beta until 7.3.3 anyway). The actual fix for this situation is to upgrade to at least 7.3.2.2, but preferably 7.3.3. You also gain full support for things like bit-mapped indexes if you go to 7.3.3.

--
Regards,

Jim Joslin, Senior Consultant
Oracle Corporation

			         NOTICE:
		The statements and opinions herein are my own
		and are therefore not to be construed as those
			   of Oracle Corporation.