Re: How to set connect internal password

From: Vitaly Sikolenko <vsikolen_at_ru.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/08/08

Larry Rosen wrote:

> F.Hellweg_at_t-online.de (Frank Hellweg) wrote:
>

> >Hey,
> >for security needs we want to know how to set a password for connect

> >internal. We got a hint on a 'orapwd' tool, but we donĀ“t know how to
 use
> >the file created by orapwd. Oracle Version 7.2.3 / AIX. Please help !
>
> How about setting a dummy value, like SID1, for the environment
> variable ORACLE_SID in the oracle user's .profile script. The
> user could not connect internal unless they knew how to change
> the ORACLE_SID to the actual instance name. This can admittedly
> be annoying during system maintenance.
>
> Larry Rosen
> rosenl_at_magicnet.net

  Anyway orapwd doesn't restrict connect internal for "dba" group users under Unix (it's different under Windows NT). It rather permits to make remote connect as SYSDBA (internal) specifying the password you indicate when running orapwd. The utility is described in the "Server Administrator's guide", I may only add that the name of password file is fixed: it should be orapwSID in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs. Do not forget to set remote_login_passwordfile to EXCLUSIVE in your init.ora

--
Vitaly Sikolenko                  Senior Sales Consultant
                                  Server & Gateways

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not
necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.