Re: PO7-- database links

From: Vitaly Sikolenko <vsikolen_at_ru.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/08/08

Marc Kannenberg wrote:

> We are trying to create a database link in Personal Oracle 7. The
> ultimate purpose of this link is to enable us to call stored
> procedures
> from a remote database. The apparently simple establishment of this
> link, however, is not proving to be simple at all. The name of the
> database instance we are trying to connect to is 'orcl'. We named the
>
> database on this instance, 'testorcl'. When we try to establish the
> link, PO7 returns the the error message,
> "ORA-02085: 'testorcl.world' connects to 'oracle.world'"
> We named the database link the same as the database to which
> it is to
> connect as we should, but this error is presented no matter the name
> of
> the database. Perhaps the instance name, 'orcl' is somehow confused
> with the database name 'oracle'?? Until this problem is identified
> and
> solved, we apparently cannot establish a link to the instance, 'orcl'.
>
> This is big problem. Please help.
>
> Thank you.
>
> James McDonald
>
> jamie_mcdonald_at_mail.amsinc.com

  Check the global name of the database you try to connect with the dblink (select * from global_name). There is nothing to do with SID here. You may change the global name of the database with the command ALTER DATABASE RENAME GLOBAL_NAME if you want.

--
Vitaly Sikolenko                  Senior Sales Consultant
                                  Server & Gateways

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not
necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.