authentication

From: Wing Chun <kwchun_at_webhk.com>
Date: 1997/08/08

Hi Donna Groden

My understanding is when the server send a HTTP Header to challenge the browser, the pop up box come up.¡@ After the user input his/her password

and login, an authorized header is added on the client.¡@ Every time the

user accesses the restricted area, the server will compare that header is a authorized user or not.

So how can we use the GET method to do the authentication? Please explain it more.

Thanks a lot.

From: Donna Groden
Newsgroups: oracle.support.supportlink.webserver.net Subject: Webserver Authentication
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 09:15:44 -0400

Webserver authentication can be done on a HTML form using the GET method. Your USERID/PASSWORD must be declared as constant variables.

You could also use a cookie as well.

Have a good day,
Donna Groden
Language Group
Oracle World Wide Support'

DBMS Version (if applicable): V7.3 OWA 2.1 Error Number (if applicable): N/A
Product and Version:
Operating System: other (enter below)
¡@

OS = SGI I just want to know, can we do the Authentication on a HTML form instead

of a pop
up input box. After I logged in, the server can determine the client (browser) is permitted to access all the files. I know I can use the authentication mechanism in the webserver. But how can I move the process
into a HTML form.

My understanding is the server will add a http Authentication header in the browser after the client type in the password and login name. The client sends the header to the server, every time it accesses the files in
a restricted area. How can we use a HTML form to add the header to a browser.

Thanks
¡@