Re: Is triggers really necessary ?

From: chris <cys4_at_columbia.edu>
Date: 1997/08/07

--------------EEB503D1AE57C3D39FB4BE3D

Terrence Wong wrote:

> Gurus, experts, experienced users...
>
> Am writing scripts in PL/SQL for the web environment. Have been
> constantly reading up fresh interesting articles from this newsgroup.
> Hope you could help answer my curiosity.
> Question. Is triggers neccesary ?
>
> (1) Are there examples of implementation of triggers in a web
> environments.
> (2) When do we use triggers, eg. cascading deletes etc. ?
> (3) Is maintaing triggers difficult, if the underlying structure of
> the
> programs need changing ?
> (4) Impact on performance within the web environment using triggers.
> (5) Lastly, is triggers neccessary ?
>
> I personally thank you first.
> Terrence Wong
> Systems Developer

   I will tell you my rule. I do not use triggers at the server level. However, you must user the triggers at the application level. At the server level, I use packages only, because triggers are very hard to maintain.

--------------EEB503D1AE57C3D39FB4BE3D

begin:          vcard
fn:             Christopher  Suh
n:              Suh;Christopher