Re: Naming Conventions

From: Tim Hall <tim.hall_at_tswi.com>
Date: 1997/08/07

Neil Boemio wondered:

> Hello ..... can some of you tell me the naming conventions you're using
> for tables, indexes, constraints, sequences, any object for that
> matter. Do you start all tables with t_ and indexes with i_, and
> sequences with s_, etc.?......

Our standards are as follows:-

We do prefix tables with a three-letter code indicating the sub-system.

Primary key constrains and indexes are in the form:

XXX_CON_YYY_PK Where XXX is the subsystem code, and YYY is a three-letter alias for the table.

Unique keys are in the form:

XXX_CON_YYY_UK[n]

Sequences are in the form:

XXX_SEQ_YYY Foreign Keys are in the form:

XXX_CON_YYY_FK_ZZZ[_qualifier]

where ZZZ is the alias of the referenced table. The qualifier is only used where there are two or more foreign keys joining the same two tables>

Non-unique indexes are in the form:

XXX_IDX_YYY[_ZZZ][_qualifier]

Views are prefixed by XXX_VW

Tim Hall, TSW International
Remove "spam_must_die" from email address before replying Received on Thu Aug 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT