Re: Re-creating the BUMP files.

From: John Clarke <john.clarke_at_bpainc.com>
Date: 1997/08/04

Yes, you can rename them at the operating system level. You can rename them, delete them, whatever. You should probably get in the habit of reading these files from time to time, as they may contain error messages that you may wish to act on.

Your init.ora will tell you the name/location of your alert file. You can delete the file if it's big and doesn't contain information you're interested in - Oracle will recreate the file and append to it as necessary. You should refer to your server documenation for ideas of what sorts of operations generate trace files and write to your alert log.