SQL Question: Date Substitution on NULL fields

From: David Sivick <dsivick_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1997/08/04

 How can I get the null fields in a column type DATE to be represented by some other field in a select statement. I don't want to update the fields in the table, I just want the field to show up as something else in the select.

For Example:

Purchase_No Item Date

0145                    Boots
0146                    Socks        01/01/97
0147                    Tie             11/11/96

So my select would be:

select purchase_no,date from 'table'

And I want to get back...

0145 00/00/00
0146 01/01/97
0147 11/11/96

I have tried to fool the replace function, but since I am not dealing with a character field, it is not being freindly.

Thanks,
David Received on Mon Aug 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT