Re: Backup software for Oracle, NT, and Exchange

From: Your-Name-Here <Your-Username-Here_at_waikato.ac.nz>
Date: 1997/08/04

In article <33e2cfac.2285319_at_news.prestel.co.uk>, E.Gardner_at_VaxMan.prestel.co.uk (Eugene Gardner) wrote:

> > Hi! I was wondering if anyone would care to share their opnions on a
> > good backup package to use for backing up Oracle, NT, and Exchange.
> > We're currently using Backup Exec, but I'm a bit disappointed with
> > their tape management capabilities and file database.
>
> We were using Backup Exec too until we found several unfortunate
> features. Main problem was that when in Archive mode, i.e. backup and
> delete all archived redo logs, it recompiled its file list after the
> backup - result: all redo logs created since it started got deleted.
> We will probably go with ARCserve now.

I have written my own backup programs, which consists of a few cammand files and some sql scripts run in svrmgr23. I use the NT AT schedule to start the scripts which basically stop the database copy the db files & archive logs to online storage and restart the database. All commands are piped to a text file and then mailed to the DBA using a share program called blat.
I also have a Oracle Form which is called by AT to delete the archive logs older than 10 days old. Received on Mon Aug 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT