Re: Changing default Date format in Oracle 6

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/08/03

In article <5r3650$lk6_at_ws051eng.ictest.delcoelect.com>, "Albert W. Dorrington" <awdorrin_at_ictest.delcoelect.com> writes

>Hi All,
>
> I have an Oracle6 database (V6.0.33.1.4) and have not been
>able to find the answer to this question inthe documentation.
> Is there a method for changing the default date presented
>by the database when selecting from a date field?
>Currently the system returns dates in the format of: 22-JUL-97
>I would like to change the default format to be: 22-JUL-1997
>
>Yes, I know I can use the formatting routines for this, but I would
>like the DEFAULT format to change.
>
> If this is not possible with Oracle 6, is it possible with
>the newer versions of Oracle? I probably will not be able to upgrade
>to a new version of Oracle without a huge amount of difficulty, but
>we may be forced to migrate in the next two years otherwise.

I Oracle7 you can set NLS_DATE_FORMAT, either on a per session level using ALTER SESSION... or for the entire instance by setting tha above parameter in INIT.ORA.

--
Jim Smith