Re: intermittent "pulse" while accessing 7.3.3.1 instance

From: David <dmorganbrooker_at_bigpond.com>
Date: 1997/08/03

Shirley,

This type of behaviour often occurs while the ORACLE Server is taking a 'checkpoint'.
Make sure you have 'checkpoint_process = true' in your init.ora file. Also set log_checkpoint_interval to a very large value and possibly your redo logs need to be increased in size as checkpoints are taken when a log switch occurs.

Also make sure 'db_files' parameter is not set to too large a value as this can reduce the efficiency of the 'db writer' process by increasing its scan depth too much.

regards

        David Morgan-Brooker

Shirley Barger <sbarger_at_igc.apc.org> wrote in article <sbarger-0208971640050001_at_news.sirius.com>...
> We've just moved our production instance from 7.1.6 on an HP I70 (HP-UX
> 9.04) to 7.3.3 on an HP T520 (HP-UX 10.20). We run a widely-used
 business
> package designed for colleges against this db, and we've run the same
> version of the package for several months on the lower grade
> machine/OS/Oracle versions. What we experience on the new platform are
> intermittent pauses. Pauses last anywhere from 2 to 40 seconds, and they
> appear when users are moving between forms or blocks. But when a pause
> occurs, ALL Oracle users are affected--it's as if the system pulses.
> Forms users and sqlplus users all see it. Unix, however, hums along just
> fine--in tests, we've watched folks happily running Unix apps and
> utilities while the Oracle folks are dead in the water.
>
> We have very few users right now; we are barely using our CPUs, i/o is
> minimal. We were careful about tuning the kernel parameters, setting up
> enough swap, and balancing the load on the RAID arrays per Oracle's
> recommendations. We did not, however, go raw (and would prefer not to).
> Our DBA can find nothing suspicious when monitoring the instance.
>
> Any and all suggestions on what's wrong, what to check are welcomed.
 TIA.