Re: A Theoretical Situation

From: terryg8 <trg_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1997/08/03

Hello,

I saw your recent post re redo logs and how they work.

We have a batch update job that generates a lot of redo log activity and subsequently a bunch of archiving. Moreso than seems reasonable. My understanding of redo logs is that any change to a block result in the whole block being written to the redo log. Is that correct?
Here's a couple of questions anticipating that being true.
If later in the same batch job, another row from the same block is updated, does the block get written to the redo logs again - i.e. 2 copies of the block in redo logs, not just one?
I am guessing based on a cursory look into the batch jobs that it does many,many updates while jumping all around a large table resulting in many blocks being written - possibly multiple times.

Any info you have is appreciated. It's not a problem but it would be noce to know.

Cheers,
Terry Received on Sun Aug 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT