Re: Need some Pro*C advice (want to ditch SQL Loader)

From: Stokely Boast <stokely_at_beacondesign.com>
Date: 1997/08/02

On 21 Jul 1997 19:42:30 GMT, bob.hayden_at_ljpc.com (Bob Hayden) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I posted an article about importing graphics files using SQL Loader last week,
>but I did not get much response. Because of this, I have concluded not many
>individuals are using SQL Loader for much beyond text uploads. I am already
>writing utilities (in C) to process multiple text files and generate compact
>text files for SQL Loader, so now I am asking myself why I am even using SQL
>Loader if I could be using pro*c. This seems to be even more effective when it
>comes to loading my tiff image files (since SQL loader is just giving me
>headaches). I am an intermediate C programmer (with no C++) so will I be able
>to use pro*c, also what is pro*c? Is this a library that I can add on to gcc or
>is it a completly seperate compiler ( I am running HP-UX).

I did not see the original article, but do you mind if I ask why you want to store tiff images in a database? Why not store them on disk somewhere and keep the location stored in the database? Databases are great at what they do (transaction semantics, recoverability) but they don't (in general) make very good file systems.

Stokely Boast                                    stokely_at_beacondesign.com
Client/Server and RDBMS Consulting                Beacon Design Group Inc
PGP Id/Print: 5FD48D11 / B2 49 6C 7D 18 AC CA FB 0E 17 E5 97 6C 11 6C E7