Re: Are redo logs flushed after instance shutdown?

From: Mary Travis <Mary.B.Travis_at_bridge.bellsouth.com>
Date: 1997/08/01

Jason Berryhill <speck_at_ecst.csuchico.edu> wrote:

>Greetings wise ORACLE practitioners:

>A nice fellow deleted the redo logs from my db when I wasn't looking.
>Never mind that, it is a long story. My question is: When the db was shut
>down normally, are all of the redo logs flushed to the archive file system
>(db is in archivelog mode)? If so, will the db re-create the log files
>that are defined in the init<sid>.ora file upon startup? I do have a
>full, off-line backup of the db, so I can recreate the files if needed.

>Any help or opinions are greatly appreciated.

>Jason Berryhill

Jason,

The redo logs are not automatically archived when the database is shutdown. In this case, you can run an incomplete media recovery (until cancel, no need to use your back-up datafiles because just the redos are missing) and then: alter database open resetlogs The database will recreate the redo logs for you. Because this is an incomplete recovery and whatever information that was stored in the lost/unarchived redo log is gone, you will have to make another backup asap.

Mary

Mary Travis
BellSouth Telecommunications
email: Mary.B.Travis_at_bridge.bellsouth.com Received on Fri Aug 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT