Re: How to Change Databasename

From: terryg8 <trg_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1997/08/01

Hakan Eren wrote:

> Erik Oosterling wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Is there a way to change the database name used in the INIT.ORA
> >
> > now it is:
> >
> > DB_NAME = ORACLE
> >
> > But i want to use
> >
> > DB_NAME = TEST or
> > DB_NAME = PROD
> >
> > Okay i know you have to the db a name when you create him but it was
> > not job to create them but it is my job to support them.
> >
> > PLEASE HELP
> >
> > Erik Oosterling
> >
> > The Netherlands
>
> Hi,
>
> Simply, You cannot change the name of a database (At least up to
> V7.3.3). The database name is a string of eight characters or less.
> You name a database during 'create database...' command (As a
> parameter). This parameter indicates the name of the database, and must
> match the name used in the CREATE DATABASE statement to be executed in a
> later step. This name does not have
> to match the SID of the database service. It is recommended that you
> give a
> unique database name to each database. For example, DB_NAME=ERIK_DB
>
> Regards
>
> Hakan Eren
> InfoPower International Inc.
> ERP/MRPII/DBMS Consulting and Software Inc.
> Year 2000 Consulting
> Phone:905-507-2100
> Fax:905-507-2108
> E-mail:hakan_at_infopwr.com
> prabir_at_infopwr.com

You can back up the controlfile to trace, and reflect the new name changes in the generated trace file and your .ora files. Then recreate the control files using
the generated trace file complete with
new names etc. Do a search on this newsgroup (via www.dejanews.com if your current newserver doesn't hold enough postings) and search for this topic. Someone posted a good synopsis a little while ago. It's actually not that difficult.
Cheers, and good luck
TRG Received on Fri Aug 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT