Re: A database design question

From: Thor HW <thor_at_echidna.net>
Date: 1997/08/01

That's good advice.
Most systems I've seen tend to stop at 3rd normal form, but remember at that level multiple schemas, that contain the same design information are possible. So there is no one right way at 3rd normal form ... There are a few systems that have "stated" they were at 4th or 5th ... but it is a horrendous amount of work to get some basic information out. One designer on the project felt it was like building a car from a box of nuts and bolts everytime ... even though all they ever dealt with was cars. One person that I learned allot of excellent design guidelines from would always come back to some basic principles ... does the design easily represent the intent of each entity. I find that useful to remember as well...
Thor HW

terryg8 <trg_at_ibm.net> wrote in article <33E14B34.4516_at_ibm.net>...