Re: Production & Development Environment

From: Dick Allie <dallie_at_ionet.net>
Date: 1997/08/01

Neil Boemio wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Just setting up an Oracle environment and I'm wondering how people go
> about having their development environment mirror their production
> environment. We are moving from an Xbase environment where we simply
> copy our database files and indexes from production to development each
> night.
>
> I was thinking of doing the same type of thing with Oracle. That is,
> shutting it down and copying over all the data files, control files, log
> files, etc. I've done some preliminary work and it seems like it will
> work just fine. One problem is that after each copy, developers will
> have to recreate any temporary objects they may have created.
>
> Is this the way it's done? Is there a better way? I would love to hear
> how some of you out there are handling this. Thanks so much!
>
> Neil
> _/_/_/ Neil Boemio _/_/_/
> _/_/_/ nboemio_at_bway.net _/_/_/
> _/_/_/ http://www.bway.net/~nboemio/ _/_/_/

Hi,
We have a production system and a test system. They are located in two different physical locations. If we need to we could use our test system to restore the production system and be back in business. This is the basis of our disaster recovery plan.

To have a copy of our production system on the test machine, we restore a consistant backup of our production system on the test machine which is configured the same as the production machine. Same file system names etc.

After the restore we build new control files using a trace file created when the production system was backed up. We do change the names of all database files and log files from prod to test in the trace file and also phsically change the names of the files after the restore to reflect test instead of prod.

We then startup the database nomount and execute the trace file we edited to create new control files with the new file names. We don't archive the test system. So we then start up the test database with reset logfiles.

We do this about once a quarter or sooner if necessary. We have a 36gig database that takes about 4 hours to recreate on a cray-6400 using Solaris.

If you need more detail email me at dallie_at_ionet.net and I can send you more detailed instructions.

Regards,
Dick Received on Fri Aug 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT