Re: SQL Net - Running Different Versions at the same time??

From: Kendall Willets (TV DBA) <willetsk_at_wellsfargo.com>
Date: 1997/07/31

G. Bradley MacDonald wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have two Oracle machines (7.2 and 7.3). We have to maintain 7.2 due to
> PeopleSoft requirements. We are planning on running two Oracle instances
> on the same server - so we will have one server that runs both 7.2 & 7.3.
> Our problem is that we want to use the most current version of SQLNet for
> inhouse developement - but keep using the older version of SQLNet for
> PeopleSoft (due to their support requirements we can not upgrade!)
>
> The question is how can we run both versions of SQLNet from one desktop -
> at the same time??? ie. two different programs running two different
> versions of SQLNet on the same desktop at the same time........
>
> Is this possible? Any comments would be appreciated.
>
> Bradley MacDonald
> Liquor Distribution Branch
> Vancouver, BC

As long as the listeners are listening on different ports, t here's no reason they should interfere with each other. Look in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/listener.ora for each ORACLE_HOME and look for ADDRESS statements with identical stuff like (PORT=1521). If they look like they're both using the same network port (or whatever, depending on the network type), find another port to use for one of them. 1521 and 1525 seem to be popular.

The only thing that needs to be shared is the tnsnames.ora file. It should have entries for both SID's and the ports matching the listener.ora files.

The trick is just to start the listeners in the environments corresponding to their SIDs: use the 7.1 ORACLE_HOME, PATH, etc. to start the 7.1 listener, and 7.3 for the other. The clients should be able to connect to either listener.

Unfortunately I haven't tried this, but I've set up multiplelistener  configurations under a single version of sqlnet without too much trouble. Received on Thu Jul 31 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT