Re: DB_BLOCK_SIZE=4096 in NT????

From: Matthias Gresz <GreMa_at_t-online.de>
Date: 1997/07/31

Kenneth Foo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anybody successfully "created database ..." with DB_BLOCK_SIZE=4096 in NT?
>
> How large is the OS block size in NT anyway?
>
> I tried to modify the initORCL.ora called from BUILD_DB.sql, but during the
> creation of the database, it was not able to create the control files ...and
> complained the DATABASE BLOCK SIZE MISMATCH. 2K is perfectly fine.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Ken

Hi,

you can only set (change) DB_BLOCKSIZE when you create a new database. Changing DB_BLOCKSIZE of an existing one won't work. Blocksize of 4096 will work. Why not? But setting blocksize must be well thought about. Normal NT-Blocksize will be 2048. In case your db's rows are large enough to keep them better in 4096 blocks then change blocksize of new db. We changed blocksize to 8192 - the stripe size of our RAID5.

--
M.Gresz    :-)