Re: What Happens if...

From: Rob Verlander <robv_at_accessone.com>
Date: 1997/07/31

SatarNag wrote:

> Hi Again ;)
> If I was archiving to a tape device, what would happen if I changed
> the
> tape without turning the archiver off? does it stay in a buffer till
> another tape is replaced? If so, what is the name of the buffer? or
> does
> the transactions that I am updateing/deleting/ect...spew to nowhere?
>
> Satar Naghshineh

You may end up with some pretty upset users. Generally, it is not a good idea to
archive directly to tape. If the tape becomes full or there is a media problem
(much more likely to happen with tape than a hard disk...), once all of the redo
logs become full of unarchived data the database stops until the problem is
corrected.

Rob. Received on Thu Jul 31 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT