Re: How to Change Databasename

From: Matt Le Moine <matthew.lemoine_at_butterworths.co.uk>
Date: 1997/07/31

One option is to recreate the controlfiles for the Database

In SQLDBA, type
alter database 'database name' backup controlfile to trace; (this will create you a map of your database)

Remove everything up to the STARTUP NOMOUNTand evrything after the datafile section, it should end up looking something like the following (My controlfile, cut down version on logfile/datafile names)

STARTUP NOMOUNT
CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE SET DATABASE 'new database name' RESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG
    MAXLOGFILES 32
    MAXLOGMEMBERS 2
    MAXDATAFILES 120
    MAXINSTANCES 16
    MAXLOGHISTORY 1600
LOGFILE
  GROUP 1 'DISK$FOUR:[TEST.DBS]TEST_REDO1.RDO' SIZE 5000K,   GROUP 2 'DISK$FOUR:[TEST.DBS]TEST_REDO2.RDO' SIZE 5000K DATAFILE

  'DISK$ONE:[TEST.DBS]TEST_SYSTEM1.DBS' SIZE 10M,
  'DISK$TWO:[TEST.DBS]CSLIVE_SYSRBS01.DBF' SIZE 24M,
  'DISK$THREE:[TEST.DBS]CSLIVE_DATA01.DBF' SIZE 24M
 ;

(SAVE AS NEW_DATABASE_NAME.SQL) $ sqldba lmode=y
connect internal
@new_database_name.sql
recover database using backup controlfile; disk$FOUR:[TEST.DBS]TEST_REDO1.RDO
disk$FOUR;[TEST.DBS]TEST_REDO2.RDO
***** for all redo logs until media recovery is complete *****

alter database open resetlogs;
exit

This will give you the result you require but if you screw up the controlfile you can corrupt you database. I recommend requesting article <Note:29034.1> from Oracle Support as this explains in more detail. Make your DB_NAME parameter null while you do this.

Oosterling_at_compuserve.com (Erik Oosterling) wrote:

>Hello all,

>Is there a way to change the database name used in the INIT.ORA

>now it is:

>DB_NAME = ORACLE

>But i want to use

>DB_NAME = TEST or
>DB_NAME = PROD

>Okay i know you have to the db a name when you create him but it was
>not job to create them but it is my job to support them.

>PLEASE HELP

>Erik Oosterling

>The Netherlands

matthew.lemoine_at_butterworths.co.uk
"All opinions are my own at not necessarily that of my Company" Received on Thu Jul 31 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT