Re: Help needed:SQL Net 2.3, NT 4.0, named pipes adaptor

From: Mark Wagoner <mwagoner_at_no.spam.medplus.com>
Date: 1997/07/30

michaelh_at_zipper.zip.com.au (Michael Haldey) wrote:

>Hello,
> I have installed SQL Net 2.3 (which is a part of Oracle
>Server 7.3) on Windows NT 4.0 workstation and encountered the
>following problem.
>
>I've installed both TCP/IP and named pipes adaptors and I can
>tnsping database via TCP/IP (localhost) but I can't do it with
>named pipes - the OS tries to 'dial up' the server.
>
>Server name is specified in the 'Network' regime of Control Panel,
>nbtstat sees it under Netbios names, it is specified in the tnsnames.ora
>file and listnere.ora file.
>
>Any ideas what could be wrong?
>
>Thanks in advance. I'll summarise if enough response.
>
>Michael

If I am understanding correctly, you are trying to use IP and named pipes on the server itself. If so, IP will work this way but I have yet to get named pipes to work like this. In fact, if I connect to the local database, I just leave the host string value blank in SQL*Plus. I don't set up an alias (using SQL*Net Easy Config) on the server.

I should montion that we had a problem doing this once and Oracle recommended that we use IP to connect to the local host. The problem occured with a batch-type app running on the server that was generating too much SQL*Net traffic. It seems that using a blank host name causes a connection using a SQL*Net v1 type connection and it could not handle the traffic. I don't know if this is totally correct, but using IP seemed to fix the problem. In fact, if anyone knows of the correct way to connect to a local database, I would appreciate the info (using 2: perhaps?).

Have you tried to ping the machine from a client using named pipes?

--
Mark Wagoner
mwagoner_at_no.spam.medplus.com

To reply, remove no.spam from my mail address.