Re: Reset "need recovery" status of SYSTEM

From: Margaret Pitts <mpitts_at_saturn.mincom.oz.au>
Date: 1997/07/29

On Sat, 26 Jul 1997, Jay Ramadorai wrote:

> I have a crashed database from which the only thing I have remaining
> are the system.dbf file (the SYSTEM tablespace datafile) and a
> controlfile. I need to somehow extract all the source code for
> procedures, packages and functions out of the system.dbf file. The file
> needs recovery. I have no logs to use for recovery.
>
> I can start the instance and mount the database but cannot open it.
> There are no other datafiles referenced in the controlfile.
>
> Is there any back-door way to change the SCN # or in some other way
> reset the status of the file such that Oracle does not think that it
> needs recovery? I have already tried
> ALTER SESSION SET EVENTS 'IMMEDIATE TRACE NAME ADJUST_SCN LEVEL 1'
> but this only results in an ora-600 internal error.
>
> Jay Ramadorai
> Software Builders Intl
> Please respond to jayr_at_softwarebuilders.com

Have you tried opening the database in resetlogs mode??

If you have an ascii version of the control file, you should be able to use it to start the database is RESETLOGS mode. If you don't have an ascii version of the control file you could try creating one by issueing:

alter database backup control file to trace;

this should generate a text verion of the control file in your BACKGROUND_DUMP_ DEST directory. I don't know if this will work in mount mode, but you can try.

Once you have the text file, edit it and change NORESETLOGS to RESETLOGS and save it as something like fixdb.sql and run it in svrmgrl.

SVRMGR> startup nomount
SVRMGR> @fixdb.sql
SVRMGR> alter database open resetlogs

Hopefully this will work.

PS. I also think you will have trouble opening the database unless you have at least 2 redo logs created. If you no longer have these, you may need to use the alter database add logfile command to create them.

Marg. Received on Tue Jul 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT