Re: Newbie question.....

From: KERGOAT <Michel.Kergoat_at_der.edfgdf.fr>
Date: 1997/07/25

--------------486466FA684339F83221E256

Ed McColgan wrote:

> I want to be able to provide a customer with the ability to install
> our application, and have the application or some utility create an
> empty database.  Is there any mechainsm programmatic or otherwise that
> can do this for Oracle 7.3.2.2 Workgroup server under Solaris(2.5.1)?
> Thanks for your help.

   Ed

I did that some times ago with 7.1.*, and it worked fine in 7.2.* you have to :

  1. create the instance
  2. create your users
  3. create your schema

for the first, I customized the script created by ORAINST during the creation of a test purposed instance. The goal of this customization is to size the "standard instance" for your app (TEMP, rollback...). Then I wrote the scripts which create users, tablespaces & schema objects, and provided a SQL*LOADER app for populating the minimum database (it was a large app).
Finaly, you have to declare the instance to the Unix system.

If you write a shell script to do all of this, take care of file owner and security : I wrote a single script, which performs some su commands, and was originally started by root, so bypassing the password security. This is not allways possible, but when it is, the user interface for the install is much cool.

Note that automatic install of database is more or less hasardous, as it depends on the OS, file systems, mount points, Oracle's version, and so on... PLEASE TEST IT BEFORE SENDING. you could even do some filtering for not start when not tested for a particuliar system, like are all Unix systems.

The procedure I wrote created also a file tree which followed Oracle's advices in the doc.

Anyway, this works fine, thanks to scripting possibilities in UNIX among other open systems, but isn't trivial.

Hope this help, but I recommand use it carefully.

Regards

Michel :-)

--------------486466FA684339F83221E256

<HTML>

Ed McColgan wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>I want to be able to provide a customer with the
ability to install
<BR>our application, and have the application or some utility create an
<BR>empty database.&nbsp; Is there any mechainsm programmatic or otherwise
that
<BR>can do this for Oracle 7.3.2.2 Workgroup server under Solaris(2.5.1)?
<BR>Thanks for your help.</BLOCKQUOTE>

&nbsp;&nbsp; Ed

<P>I did that some times ago with 7.1.*, and it worked fine in 7.2.*
<BR>you have to :
<OL>
<LI>

create the instance</LI>

<LI>

create your users</LI>

<LI>

create your schema</LI>
</OL>

for the first, I customized the script created by ORAINST during the creation of a test purposed instance. The goal of this customization is to size the "standard instance" for your app (TEMP, rollback...).
<BR>Then I wrote the scripts which create users, tablespaces &amp; schema
objects, and provided a SQL*LOADER app for populating the minimum database (it was a large app).
<BR>Finaly, you have to declare the instance to the Unix system.

<P>If you write a shell script to do all of this, take care of file owner
and security : I wrote a single script, which performs some su commands, and was originally started by root, so bypassing the password security. This is not allways possible, but when it is, the user interface for the install is much cool.

<P>Note that automatic install of database is more or less hasardous, as
it depends on the OS, file systems, mount points, Oracle's version, and so on... PLEASE TEST IT BEFORE SENDING. you could even do some filtering for not start when not tested for a particuliar system, like are all Unix systems.

<P>The procedure I wrote created also a file tree which followed Oracle's
advices in the doc.

<P>Anyway, this works fine, thanks to scripting possibilities in UNIX among
other open systems, but isn't trivial.

<P>Hope this help, but I recommand use it carefully.

<P>Regards

<P>Michel :-)
<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------486466FA684339F83221E256-- Received on Fri Jul 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT