Re: Oracle 8

From: Vitaly Sikolenko <vsikolen_at_ru.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/07/25

dean wrote:

> My boss has asked me to look into migrating to from oracle 7 to 8. He
>
> wants to kow if it was difficult, and specifically, can we just
> install
> the sofrware and use the existing databases, or do we need to export
> evrything, build the new databases, and then import the data. I
> believe
> his main concern is down time. Thanks. Reply directly if you wish to
> save newsgroup bandwidth.
> dean_at_logical-approach.com

  You'll not hove to export and import your data. The provided migration utiity works
fine in general: it rebuilds the DB dictionary, ROWIDs and something else (control files and redo logs). However some problems may arise if you have tables containing columns of ROWID type. You will be to make the conversion for those columns yourself.

--
Vitaly Sikolenko                  Senior Sales Consultant
                                  Server & Gateways

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not
necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.