Re: Need some Pro*C advice (want to ditch SQL Loader)

From: Thor HW <thor_at_echidna.net>
Date: 1997/07/25

Pro*C gives you embedded SQL. It allows you to put DML statements directly into your C or C++ code, with out explicitly coding at the lower level of parsing, binding, describing and executing the DML. OCI gives you the ability to parse, bind and execute arbitrary DML statements.

In general Pro*C takes your embedded SQL (*.pc) and generate a *.c file that has all the required OCI calls done for you.

You can mix and match Pro*C and OCI calls together in your *.pc files if you want to do things like piece-wise reading of your long fields, etc...

BTW: Did you check the Oracle government website and pull down the Pro*C examples that do exactly what you want????

Thor HW

Bob Hayden <bob.hayden_at_ljpc.com> wrote in article <5r0e36$csq_at_news.cerf.net>...
> Hello,
>
> I posted an article about importing graphics files using SQL Loader last
 week,
> but I did not get much response. Because of this, I have concluded not
 many
> individuals are using SQL Loader for much beyond text uploads. I am
 already
> writing utilities (in C) to process multiple text files and generate
 compact
> text files for SQL Loader, so now I am asking myself why I am even using
 SQL