OS and hardware question...

From: Greg Carder <carderg_at_enteract.com>
Date: 1997/07/24

Hello,

We are preparing a design document for system that is targeted with Oracle as the database server. The system is projected to have from 150

to 300 concurrent users with a "large"? amount of data. "large" in our case being ~8million rows added to a single table per year for the largest table with around 160 total tables.

Our question is:
What would be the best operating system for Oracle to run on, Unix or VMS?
Given the best operating system, what would be the best performing box to run it on? We are considering a Sun Ultra Enterprise server and a DEC Alpha machine currently.

Any opinions with supporting reasons would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Greg Carder Received on Thu Jul 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT