Re: Q: java - oracle

From: Kendall Gelner <kendall_at_rmi.net>
Date: 1997/07/24

Tim Smith <tsmith_at_cybersmith.net> wrote:
>The JDBCThin client should do the trick. It's available
>free from Oracles web site. It's a level 4 JDBC client.
>I 100% java, communicating directly to the database via
>SQL*NET.
>
>PS If you get it working correctly let me know. I keep
>getting an exception error...
>
>> Hi everone. Does anyone know if the following is possible?
>>
>> I'd like to create a Java applet using JDK 1.0.2. I'd like the
>> applet to run in a Java-enabled browser. I'd like the applet to
>> interface with an Oracle database. I do not want to install *any*
>> software on the client machine, except the browser.

Regarding both these - I've gotten the thin client to work, but there are things you need to know:

The database you talk to MUST be Oracle 7.2 or higher. If you've got a 7.1 database, you need to upgrade the server for it to work.

If you are using a type 4 driver in an applett, to get to the database either:

  1. Oracle must run on the same machine as the server that delivered the applet (conjecture, have not tried)
  2. Your applet must get permission to access other machines on the network (tried in Netscape, haven't wuite got working yet).

--> Kendall Gelner (kendall_at_rmi.net) Received on Thu Jul 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT