Backup software for Oracle, NT, and Exchange

From: Jen-Mei Wu <jwu_at_ezaccess.com>
Date: 1997/07/24

Hi! I was wondering if anyone would care to share their opnions on a good backup package to use for backing up Oracle, NT, and Exchange. We're currently using Backup Exec, but I'm a bit disappointed with their tape management capabilities and file database. On the bright side, it works reliably, which is the number one concern with backups. We also have ARCserve. Maybe we're doing something wrong with it, but it doesn't seem to be all that reliable on restores.

All of our backups of Oracle that we've been doing have been with the database shut down. I'm thinking of moving to hot backups, and I'm not sure how well Backup Exec can handle them, so I thought I'd ask. I thought now would also be a good time to ask about other backup programs that might be equally reliable that have better management features.

In particular, I've heard that Legato provides a good backup program, but I have no experience with it. Anyone care to share their experiences/opinions?

I'm also interested in backing up live Exchange databases.

The one thing I'm most interested in hearing is how reliable restores are and if anyone has successfully recovered from a complete disaster with one of these (or even another) backup pacakages as part of the disaster recovery plan.

Thanks!

Jen Received on Thu Jul 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT