Re: Table Recovery

From: Michael Serbanescu <mserban_at_postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/07/24

If you 1) have the online backup of the database files and the control file that goes with the "archived logs that go back to the time that the data was deleted", and 2) know the date and time when the data was deleted (possibly from the date and time of the archived logs), and 3) have not made any schema changes since the data was deleted, then you can try this route:

  1. perform an export by user for the user who owns the table
  2. shutdown the database and restore the backup
  3. startup the database and perform an UNTIL TIME database recovery to the time just before the data was deleted
  4. Truncate the other tables in the schema and perform an import using the dump file created in a.

Even if this method works, you will be missing from that table the data created from the time of the ill-fated deletion till the present. Before the restore/recovery, you could create a table AS SELECT from the table in question, and somehow manually re-apply the changes after the recovery.

Hope this helps.

Michael Serbanescu