How to check if the database is active

From: Gilberto Casiraghi <edipi_at_candy.it>
Date: 1997/07/23

I need to check if my database is active before run a particular job started by the unix cron daemon.
Till now I have checked the file $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/sgadefSID.dbf (I have Oracle 7.2) but in my case is not a good solution. In fact that file can exist also during the startup phase when the database is not yet available. So when the cron start my job, it stops abnormally.

Can anyone have others idea ??
Thanks in advance.

Gilberto Casiraghi.
edipi_at_candy.it Received on Wed Jul 23 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT