Lost connections

From: Tony van der Prijt <tprijt_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: 1997/07/22

Hi there,

Maybe someone has some things I could look in to that might solve my problems. The problems can arise in two different situations and they might or might not have the same cause. I just don't know.

Situation 1:
When I execute a inefficient query, the session that submitted the query is lost. The client gets not message that the session is killed and so its waits and waits... The query results, just before the disappearing of the connection, in a rapidly increasing amount of used memory, so I guess it just runs out of available memory. But why does the server not let me know that this happens?

Situation 2:
Every now and then, my connection is lost or i just can't connect. The problem here does have some similarities: the client still thinnks it is connected to the database, but on the server there is no sign of any connection with the client.

I'm using Oracle 7.3.2.2. fro Windows NT. The client is a Win31-machine. I'm thinking there might be something wrong with either the listener or the client configuration, but none of the reports in the ODP-library has been able to shed some light on the situation. Maybe someone has had similar experiences (and hopefully found a cause or, even better a solution)?

T.I.A.
Tony van der Prijt Received on Tue Jul 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT