Re: Oracle Web Server row retrieval question

From: Brad Worsfold <bworsfold_at_vic.lgs.ca>
Date: 1997/07/22

> I want to write a stored proc for use with OWS that allows the
> following behavior:

Oracle's WebServer Generator does this for the code that is generated.

> I have a form for a user to specify the data to retrieve out of a
> table. If the user specifies a query that returns a large number of
> rows (more than 20 or 30), then I want to display the first 20 of the
> rows, and have an anchor allowing the user to go to the next 20 rows,
> or to the previous 20 rows.

Yep
> The only way I can think of to do this is using a parameter to the
> procedure that retrieves the rows that specifies the 'row number' to
> start with, then use that to skip rows already seen, and also to use
> it to quite the fetch loop.
>

> This solution seems flawed for a few reasons such as how much of a
> HACK it is as well as the inability to guarantee that the result set
> will be exactly the same on subsequent calls.

Definitely not! Webserver only allows for transaction processing. It will only know
about the cursor while executing a single package. This gets tricky.
> Is there a way to leave a cursor open on the server, or save the state
> of it or something for the next call to the server?

Hope this helps, good luck!

Brad Worsfold Received on Tue Jul 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT