Re: HELP! Oracle 7.3.2 / Livewire / ORA-12154 ERROR!!

From: Ernest A Gill <eagill_at_globalnet.co.uk>
Date: 1997/07/22

Lyle Fong wrote in article <5qsih5$dhl_at_shellx.best.com>...

>Help! I'm running a web server (Netscape Enterprise 3.0) on a Sparc
>Solaris 2.5.1 machine w/ Livewire and Oracle 7.3.2.2
>
>As far as I can tell, all of my .ora files work fine.. (I can connect via
>SQLPlus perfectly, and I can connect fine using Perl)
>
>I've set up Livewire to connect to the Oracle database.. and for the most
>part it works.. except after a while, I start receiving the error:
>ORA-12154
Sounds like either your environment is getting screwed up (check this using "echo $TNS_ADMIN"), or the listener has died (you can check this using "lsnrctl / stat". Another possibility is something is cleaning up /var/tmp - Oracle's SQL*Net2 code creates supposedly invisible files here (under /var/tmp/.oracle) - you won't see 'em with Solaris unless you do a ls -al /var/tmp/.oracle as the directory name begins with a dot! If these files are being cleaned up by an over-zealous sysadmin, then it's bye bye SQL*net2 connections!

How are you connecting via SQL*Plus? If you're using "sqlplus myuser/mypasswd" then you are not using SQL*Net2 drivers - hence why SQL*Plus is still OK! To check if SQL*Net is still OK you need to do something like "sqlplus user/passwd_at_tns:myalias".

Hope this helps! Received on Tue Jul 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT