Re: How to view the content of the role?

From: Byron Pearce <bpearce_at_csac.com>
Date: 1997/07/22

Stephen wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> How to know the contents of the role in Oracle? i.e. when I
> type
> "select * from dba_role_privs", I only know that the granted_role. I
> want
> to know what the role means, does anyone tells me how to do it?
>
> Also, what is the difference between Oracle 7 and Oracle 8?
> Where
> can I get the information about Oracle 8?
>
> Thanks,
> Stephen

There are two types of privileges in Oracle: object privileges and system privileges. Roles are collections of object and system privileges (and also role privileges since roles can be "nested" by granting them to other roles).

This information is stored in three tables: DBA_SYS_PRIVS, DBA_TAB_PRIVS, and DBA_ROLE_PRIVS.

You can use the following query to extract the information (with appropriate changes, of course):

    SELECT *
    FROM dba_sys_privs
    WHERE grantee = 'MY_ROLE_NAME'
    /

I won't get to load Oracle8 for a couple of weeks, but I am assuming that the information is stored in a similar fashion.

Byron Pearce                         mailto:bpearce_at_csac.com
Systems Consultant                   http://www.csac.com
Computer Systems Authority (CSA)     Dallas, Texas

"It's hard to be a ninja when you wear a beeper."