Re: How to Expand system tablespace

From: Michael Serbanescu <mserban_at_postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/07/21

You can do it in either of two ways:

  1. ALTER TABLESPACE system ADD DATAFILE 'd:\orant\database\sys2orcl.ora' SIZE 50M AUTOEXTEND ON [NEXT...] [MAXSIZE...];
  2. ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE 'd:\orant\database\sys1orcl.ora' AUTOEXTEND ON [NEXT...] [MAXSIZE...];
I assumed 'd:\orant\database\sys1orcl.ora' is the original SYSTEM datafile.

In Option 2., you don't need to add a new file to the SYSTEM tablespace in order to enable the AUTOEXTEND feature, as you do in Option 1.

Hope this helps.

Michael Serbanescu