Newbie: Schemas ?

From: Don <name_at_isp.dom>
Date: 1997/07/21

I understand that each user that can access a Oracle db has a schema.

Does that means that we could end up with several thousand schemas!

Is it sensible / possible to have a common schema owner?

Does each developer create objects with the "common schema owner", or do they user their own "developer schema owner" objects? If so, how is the object "moved" to the "common schema owner"? Where do synonyms fit in here?

I may be bringing some old luggage with me, from the AS/400 world, where no matter the "creator", the object owner we have defaulting to "pgmr" - no matter who makes it. Then the user community as a "group" has access to these "pgmr owned" objects - with most object rights except create / delete / erase or clear.

Thx for clearing the fog a bit.

Don
dondealy (at) teleport {dot} com Received on Mon Jul 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT