initialize large read-only snapshots

From: Nandan Kalle <kallesn_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/07/20

I'm trying to distribute an Oracle-based product to a large number of clients. Central to this product is a 100-megabyte financial database which gets updated every night. (Only about 2 megs of updates each night.) Since these are clients, they are not on a WAN; however, they do have dial-up access via RAS (Windows NT).

I plan to distribute the data using read-only snapshots with FAST updates.

Problem: How do I initialize a new customer? I don't want to "CREATE SNAPSHOT" over the dial-up line, because that takes forever.

I tried creating the entire snapshot schema on a local PC, exporting the schema, and re-importing into the remote PC; however, for some reason that disabled FAST updates.

Does anybody have any ideas how to approach this problem?

Thanks,
- Nandan Received on Sun Jul 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT