Re: Help Please - can't install Oracle on Linux

From: Steve Abatangle <sabat_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/07/18

Jeremy Russell (jeremyr_at_dircon.co.uk) wrote:
: I am trying to install Oracle Server 7.3.2.1.0 onto Caldera Linux
: 1.2.13, from the Oracle CD-ROM. As soon as I run the command
: "./orainst /c", to begin the install process in character mode, the
: message "Unable to get current working directory" is displayed and the
: installation process stops.
:
: Can someone either confirm that this will actually install, although
: the version of Oracle is for SCO Unix / Open Server 5.0, or let me
: know that this is not going to work at all.

I have to include this disclaimer: these comments are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation. Further, Linux is not a supported Oracle platform.

However: Oracle is known to work under Linux, yes. I've not personally heard direct reports of anyone getting 7.3.x to work, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't possible.

I presume you have the makeshift HOWTO for Oracle/Linux? If not, it should at least help you; there are some workarounds that have to be done to get Oracle to install.

Let me know if you need this information.

Steve Received on Fri Jul 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT