Re: Tools for DBA

From: James Petts <jpetts_at_celltech.co.uk>
Date: 1997/07/17

Matthew F. Reagan wrote:

> I would definitely recommend upgrading to 7.3, since support for 7.1.x
> lapses on Oct 31, 1997.

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll go ahead and do this (though it means
installing OpenVMS7.1 and buying more memory :-)

> There are a number of different tools that accomplish all phases of
> managing a database. If you could elaborate on your need, I'm sure you
> will get some good responses.

I'm a pretty new DBA but I've been on a couple of training courses covering sizing, tablespace fragmentation etc, etc. It all seems quite straighforward (but tedious) to do this sort of thing, and I was wondering what else might be available for this and such things as trend analysis, problem prediction.

I guess that the real question I should have asked is "What range of software tools are out there, and what sort of things do each of them do?". Is there a FAQ or other document available that can answer these auestions for me?

--
James "I'd rather fall off Ilustrada than ride any other horse" Petts