Oracle to Access Import problems

From: <gregl_at_criticalpath.com>
Date: 1997/07/17

  I am currently hitting my head against trying to import a schema from an Oracle 7.0 Server into Access. My problems include the following problems: (Note that I am using the Access ODBC driver ver. 3.50.360200 to connect to the Oracle 7.0 Server) 1. Access prepends the schema name to the table name when importing the Oracle table e.g. Table FOO in Schema BAR becomes BAR_FOO, which fails all of my queries in my c++ project which are looking for the table named "FOO". 2. The Oracle NUMERIC data type is getting mapped to a float which screws up my queries because some of these fields are the IDs for records in other tables.

What I would like help on is to determine which of the two following solutions is going to be the easiest to implement, and I would appreciate help in this decision.

  1. Figure out a way to get Access to not create the aforementioned problems when importing an Oracle Database.
  2. Determine if and how I can use the sql script which creates the Oracle Database schema to create a similar schema in Access. I am not familiar in this area, but I have been told that the sql used to create the Oracle DB is not guaranteed to work when trying to create an Access DB. If the sql script used to create the Oracle Schema can also be used to create the Access schema then would you please describe to me how I can execute a sql script in Access. In Oracle I have the nifty SQL Plus 3.3 command line interface which makes this simple, but I am not sure how to run a sql script (many commands contained in a text .sql file) on an Access DB.