Re: SQLPLUS 3.3 Connect Error

From: TurkBear <jvgreco_at_nospamprimenet.com>
Date: 1997/07/17

Chaim Katz <katz_at_cae.ca> wrote:

>terryg8 wrote:
>>
>> Bill Richardson wrote:
>> >
>> > Version 3.3 of SQLPLUS comes as part of the new Discoverer 2000 package.
>> >
>> > I can't connect to my Oracle Server (version 7.3.2.1.0). I get an
>> > ORA 12705 error (invalid or unknown NLS parameter specified).
>> > I can connect with SQLPLUS 2.2 just fine.
>> >
>> > Anyone else encountered this problem? Is there anything I can do?
>> >
>> > many thanks,
>> >
>> > Bill Richardson
>> > Extension Information Systems
>> > Virginia Tech
>> > Blacksburg, Va
>>
>> Yeah, I've pulled my hair a few times over that one but just yesterday
>> stumbled on to a workaround (at least it works for me).
>>
>> Tne NLS_LANG parameter in your oracle.ini file is the culprit if your
>> situation is like mine. Get rid of it and the nls_lang gets a default
>> value upon connecting that should work just fine.
>> By the way, you don't have your oracle client software installed on
>> a network do you? Seems to me that local install never had this
>> problem.
>>
>> Anyway, good luck,
>> Cheers
>> Terry
>You are right, but I don't believe you have to remove the parameter, I
>think the name of the parameter changed from NLS_LANG to NLS_LANGUAGE.
>Chaim

Oracle Support suggests that the parameter be set to the language of the database used on install - the parameter must match the original nls_language and some Oracle products when installed as an upgrade ( like 7.1 to 7.3 ) rename the language parameter. Try setting it to America_Americal.USASCII7

Its worth a try .... Received on Thu Jul 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT